Monday, August 18, 2008

I AM HIP HOP 3 (Trinidad hip hop show)



Oye people. Da Face in. Before I expound on the title of this post I want to first thank Mr. Thompson for doing us proud and placing first amongst the human runners participating in the 100m final. Dat dude Bolt is something else and I'm not sure whether his planet even exists in our solar system. In my 26 years of existence I've never seen an athlete running against the best of the best on planet earth get time to look around far less beat chest at any point of the 100 metres that comprise the race. The scary thing is that because he's from the Caribbean, the probability that he's on drugs tends to zero (yeah it's biased but true). Anyways...

Now back to the topic. What can I say about I am hip hop 3? As an instant spoiler and from a realistic point of view it was decent. If you got sucked into the hype then I guess it may have been a tad bit disappointing. However, I am a realistic kinda dude and the only segment of the show that was disappointing to me was the highly touted mc freestyle battle. There were some good punchlines thrown and some of the mcs displayed good clear deliveries but there were also some who couldn't string more than two sentences together and opted not to efficiently use the provided mic. Additionally, it's really hard to consider this battle as one involving 'Trinidad's finest' when freestyle guru Nemesis and freestyle pro Hollow man were both liming in the crowd and not part of the competition. Some patrons also doubted if the better battlers were really going off the top since there was a notable lack of 'personals' (disses that directly attack the person...their name, what their wearing etc). Nevertheless, MC Red (I think that was name) emerged the winner in an anti-climatic final that wasn't even the best battle of the night.

On the good side though, the ambiance in the club was right and Jus Jase really did it on the turntables. As a mid-level rap aficionado, I was really loving the Wu Tang session and was entertained watching the more hardcore rap fans get grimy for the classics that I really didn't know. Predictably, "Ante up" tore up the show and the local rap group I.A.L.S. were the hype masters on the dance floor, jumping with a sea of other hands, head bumping almost to the knees and mouthing lyrics to entire songs. I wasn't in the mix though, I was left of the bar hoodie pon de head and sucking on caribs whole night just zoned out and only headed to the front for Chromatics' performance which was great. I heard his mini-hit song "Takeover" before and it brought the crowd to life after the battles but it was the song "Rumours" that shocked and impressed me. This song steps on more toes than a bad dancer and I'm not sure if some in the music industry are ready for it. I really can't wait for his new album...fuh real.

I also saw plenty of artistes in the crowd. I was very pleased to have met Make it Hapn outside the club before the show. If you've been reading my posts you'll remember when I named his album "Ghetto Child" the best album for the month of June. The pleasing thing was that dude was real humble despite having a largely regarded album and it was a good look for him when they later bumped two songs from his album ("Small man" and "S.O.A.K.") later on. I also saw Nemesis, synergy soca star O.G., rap producer Beebo and a few others. By the time I was ready to leave I was chill after about 5 caribs but some of my peeps were disappointed and wanted a little more. Personally, my only concerns are that Euphoria lounge as a venue is small making it impractical once this show grows and the battles were a little underwhelming. Other than that, I find the night was decent and a good starting point for better things. Check out the videos below. Face out.


Freestyle battle: Max vs Sphinx


Chromatics performing "Takeover"


Chromatics performing "Rumours"

No comments: