Friday, August 15, 2008

ONE MIC rundown



Greeting folks, I hope everything is a one love during these trying times. As a consolation, two out of our three Trinidadian runners have absolutely sizzled in the 100m thus far and although it's a long shot, I hope at least one of them can upset the lethal Jamaican runners who are favourites for a one two in the event. Anyways, is no scene... God is a trini.

Yeah, so I 'palanced' in the One Mic on Tuesday. I've been getting mail in my Facebook for like forever inviting me down to San Fernando to yuh know, share my talent and stuff but excuses have been me keeping back until now. The worst of these excuses was the fact that it was too far and you know that really cyah cut it when you originally hail from quite down Palo Seco. However, when I learned that a maxi was available to carry persons from uwi to the venue and back for the inflation-friendly fee of $20, I knew that my period of making excuses had ended. So Tuesday I linked with Akila and bundled in a maxi with about twelve other strangers in transit to Club 601.

Overall I must say that the One Mic experience was good and above expectations. The event itself was and is hosted by a guy called Skeeto who is an extremely talented lyricist and an extremely cool guy overall. I met this Skeeto after hearing a very powerful song that he put up on the internet. Well yuh know me, I doh stick. I called up this Skeeto dude and reasoned with him and next thing you know we up in a studio recording a song on my upcoming album "Hitchhiker's Guide to Uwi called "I won't pretend". Working with someone you haven't met is always risky and can sometimes reveal egoes and all that unnecessary bull sh*t, but Skeeto proved to be the perfect mix; skilled, professional and humble. So it was good seeing him hosting the One Mic.

The show itself is a nice mix of genres and performance depth (for lack of a better word). It has spoken word and poetry for the hardcore open mic junkies as well as dub, reggae, soca and catchy-sounding but eclectic jazzy stuff that irregulars looking for a nice vibe can head nod to. My first performance in the show was far from my best but one ting for sure is that I will be back to really do it in the next one. I even video-taped some performances but the lighting was too soft for my budget-priced camcorder so I haven't put them up. Next month is the 2 year anniversary of the show so I implore anyone reading this to check out Club 601 in San Fernando for the niceness (join the group on Facebook find out when the next one is being held). At the very least yuh seeing me there fuh sure. Face out.

No comments: