Saturday, June 14, 2008

Underground Trini album pick of the month (June): "Ghetto Child"



Yeah folks, is Da Face in this b**** again.
Well guess what, Tha Carter 3 coming from my favourite artiste Lil Wayne aka Weezy F Baby has been out since last week Tuesday and some people are saying that it may sell more than 900000 copies in the first week. How sick is that for a guy whose album has leaked twice within the last year?

Safe. So hear this people; as of now I am commencing a new feature as part of my blog. Being the local music connoisseur that I am, I frequently buy and listen to local (Trinidad) music from various musical genres (mainly rap, rapso, dancehall, reggae) and ever so often I hear stuff that is classic and worth more than the $60 or so that I spend on those cds. This new blog feature is going to recognize out of those noteworthy albums, the best Trinidad release for the current month and provide my commentary on the album (not a review), some basic information about the album itself and more information about the artiste and where the album can be purchased. This will hopefully serve to get some of you to start listening local artistes and 'leggo' the mediocre international ones like fiddy cent. Trust me, the cds are affordable and worth the money.

Now last month one of those cds I listened to was from this guy who goes by the name of "Make-It-Hapn". I first heard him on a track called "Daiz wah ah saying" on a mixtape full of trini artistes and his song was the baddest on the entire album. This dude basically raps (he has a rapper's rhyme scheme and phrasing) but with a completely local inflection and uses local dialect. The album called "Ghetto Child" is a collection of stories and observations about life in Trinidad for the less fortunate. Over distincly hip hop beats with generous vocal samples, Make-It-Hapn paints pictures of the ghetto view of Trinidad life for himself and/or people that he has observed. Trust me people, this album is one of those that you can (and should) listen to from beginning to end and rewards repeat listeners with stuff that you may not have heard on the first one. If you buy nothing else make sure to pick up this one.

"Ghetto Child" is being distributed by Tru-2-Culture, a Trinidad music distribution company that I spoke about previously, so you can get the album from their designated outlets.

2 comments:

Master Logikal said...

Hey. Listen. I do not really know how to use the blog business. I just do wat i can .. contact me at MASTERLOGIKAL@GMAIL.COM for ur thing u wanted

Unknown said...

ghetto child is one of the best albums i've ever heard. it is relevant (especially in the trinidadian context) and it embodies an international perspective of struggle, even with the obvious trinidadian references. i believe if any individual facing a social struggle tunes in to this album they would be moved.