Monday, June 9, 2008

Real Talk DVD Magazine: Part 3 released



Yeah folks, Da Face is in it for another week. Congratulations to Barack Obama for winning the democratic nomination and I sincerely hope he goes on to do the impossible. Last year some fellas told me that there was no way Obama could have beaten Hillary; we should have made a bet.


Blaxx - Mr Breathless speaks

Anyway, now unto the real talk. In an earlier post, I spoke about Real Talk Part 2 and all the bacchanal that ensued in that edition, the largest of all being KMC telling Chinese Laundry to "haul he chinee mudder ****". Yeah, it was serious. It also had Squeezy Ranking, who has gotten added notoriety after Real Talk 2, speaking his mind about different stuff like what Rasta men really mean when they say they want to 'bless up' a chick. This latest edition didn't have anything to surpass those things but it didn't fall far.

First out the gate we get a extremely foul-mouthed Blaxx (I think he cussed within the first ten seconds) just speaking about random stuff which was so funny that I actually had to stop the dvd to laugh. At one point while describing how it was a team effort to create the hit song "Breathless" he ended off by saying "and I sing it, not sang...I sing it!" Then an unseen guy from the back indicates that he should say "sung" rather than "sing" to which he replies; "wah f***in sung...cool yuhself, I sing it". Trust me, real jones. Next up was Akiel from some dj group that I honestly can't remember the name of (though I should). He apparently was the guy who KMC said was not playing his music and had to "ride for". I guess his purpose was to try and explain his side of the story but he only served to make KMC's rant seem a bit justified. His monologue had a kinda shady feel and came off like he had to pick what he could say and could not say. And to make matters worse, he said what had to be a lie about there existing a committee where every soca song has to go through before they are played. I'm not doubting that there probably is one but I'm quite sure that a lot of songs either don't reach to pass there or money passes there for them. I'm just saying.

After those stuff was an interview with the guy who sang "I want...mih rum in de morning". He was cool. Then Benjai was up next and he spoke but he couldn't say anything about the case...but then he kinda did. He indicated that the HD contingent may not have been the aggressors in the whole incident. I didn't know what to make of that but I would never put Benjai down as the kinda cat who would lie so who knows? After Benjai, was a chilling account from Denyse Plummer revealing the story of her first Calypso semi-finals where an assortment of missiles were hurled at her in Skinner Park yet she refused to stop performing and leave the stage. I heard this story before but somehow when she told it on the dvd I felt something move in my chest (I think it was my heart yo). Then she introduced Justin Cross who she is apparently managing now which is a good look for him (another big UTA rising up).

Now normally when there are multiple editions of any product it's natural to rate them against each other to determine whether things are improving or getting watered down. In this installment the production values for the Real Talk has really improved and nuff respect to the Production team as they have definitely done a good job. However, I must say that I missed some of the more impromptu features of installments past like Shinez walking up to random people and ask them all kinda shyte. Speaking of which, where was Shinez hoss? Shinez was only represented in this dvd as an animated icon at the bottom of the screen that flickered up both intermittently and annoyingly to advertise the new but unfinished official website (me eh know wah politics gone on dere). Anyway people, buy Real Talk 3 asap...and check out the website .

No comments: