Monday, June 23, 2008

Digicel Rising Star Blow By Blow (Caribbean Week)



Aye people. Waz de real scene? Yeah I know, I haven't been on the Digicel scene for a bit since I totally annihilated the judges a few weeks ago but say what; I finally cleared my Sunday evening and decided to take it in. I decided to be totally thorough though, so I actually took notes on every performance together with the judges thoughts and reactions. And on a side note; fellas if you're going to propose to your honey, make sure that you're at least around 90% sure she wants the same thing too. Especially if it's at an nba game in front of thousands of people, most of whom are equipped with cameras and have access to youtube. Damn. I actually feel sorry for this dude.

1st Contestant (Vindra Kilewan singing "Lotaylah" by Sonny Mann) - Now personally I think this dude wasn't that bad (my gf disagrees though). I mean, he danced out of time to the song and looked straight up 'jokey' on stage but I found he was entertaining and his vocal delivery of Sonny Mann's 1996 hit was spot on. The judges weren't having it though. Johnny told him that his performance wasn't up to par for this stage of the competition (anybody has any clue what that means?) and that his out of time dancing detracted heavily from his performance which coming from a fat, balding guy is...ouch. In another weird tv moment Michael Salickram (the eye-liner dude) told him that he didn't do his research because he didn't pronounce one of the words in the song correctly. Then he proceeded to show him an example and to my ears the correct version sounded exactly like the 'wrong' version. I mean, like who cares? Who even knows what Lotaylah means in the first place?

2nd Contestant (Meda Ellis singing "Love Generation" by Maximus Dan) - Ah yes, the favourite. Yuh done know every competition needs one and this is no different. Now she isn't my favourite contestant but I'd be lying through my teeth if I didn't admit that she delivered. I kinda pegged her as a churchy girl from early so I was pleasantly surprised when she picked one of favourite songs from Maximus Dan of all people to perform for the competition. I was genuinely interested in seeing how she would interpret the deep-voiced Maximus delivery and whether she would 'RnB' it up but she did it straight, tongue gymnastics and all and nailed it. The judges were predictably slobbering over her.

3rd Contestant (Keslie Lion Joseph singing "Too Experienced" by Barrington Levy) - Now this contestant straight up frustrated me. His performance was good; he exhibited lots of confidence and good movement on stage but not for nothing would he attempt to hit any of the signature Barrington Levy notes. I mean, doh play mas if yuh fraid powder. In this instance I agreed with the judges who also didn't like it. Strangely though, they found that he should sing something else besides reggae stuff. What do they really expect? It's a competition and he's a reggae dude. Is it wrong of him to put his best foot forward as much as he can?

4th Contestant (Alicia Stephens singing "It's a pity" by Tanya Stephens) - A unrequited love song by a professional man-hater. I'm not sure that this was the best song for Alicia to pick but she didn't do too bad a job. I was a bit frustrated by her too melodic, rnb-type, delivery of the staccato dub song but I guess it wasn't her comfort zone either. The judges found it okay I think but they thought it need more 'feeling' or something. Eye-liner dude loved it though.

5th Contestant (Crystal singing "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley) - Now in addition to a favourite every competition also has a scape goat and this one is also no different. I guess once you've chosen to sing one of the most known and loved songs by one of the greatest artistes of all time you should kinda expect hyper-criticism but I think the comments were off. This girl delivered the song with monologue-like intensity; she used her eyes, hands and movements to convey the meaning of different words and phrases but yet the she was told that she didn't perform with enough 'feeling' (what does that mean anyway?). Vocally I didn't think that she brought enough intensity but the visual performance was good as far as I was concerned. Her outfit, full African garb from head-to-toe, was appropriate and looked good.

6th Contestant (Adafie Padmore singing "Missing Generation" by Ella Andell) - If there is one thing I know is that if you're singing an Ella Andell, you better have nuff vocals and know how to push them to the limit. I don't think Adafie had the microphone-assassinating, baptist-type vocals to really do this song justice but she knew how to push to her limit, so much so that her upper register began heading dangerously close to falsetto range for the notes on the last part of her performance ending on an exquisite, pores-raising final note. Interestingly enough, the judges main beef was that the song "wasn't her". On a show where you're asked to go out of your comfort zone I think comments like those may make you want to launch a microphone. On a side note, Knycky is on drugs right?

7th Contestant (Claudia singing "Make Love") - A sexy outfit and smoky delivery couldn't save this contestant from the wrath of the judges. I wasn't really feeling this performance and the judges weren't either. Her performance wasn't terrible or anything but something tells me that she may go home next week.

8th Contestant (Erica Samuel singing "Unfaithful" by Rhianna) - As I proceed to turn off my television I hear that there is this thing called a wildcard where judges bring back talented contestants who haven't been voted (another point for the "people don't know shit about talent" argument). Anyway, while I'm trying to process what's going on this shy-looking girl begins to sing my favourite Rhianna song and almost delivers it better than Rhi Rhi herself (she is probably a better singer in actuality). Isn't it ironic that in a competition that is dependent on votes, the person who didn't make it on votes had probably the best vocal performance of the night? I certainly think so. I also think that Knycky and that 'Empress' chick from Tempo may be buying from the same dealer. I don't think being so happy is healthy. Anyways, Da Face out. Till next post.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Meda is my cousin and my entire family is very proud of her! Its funny that you mention her being "churchy" because that is how my family is! I was in Trinidad on vacation and unfortunately I had to leave the day before she performed,but I was able to see a snippet of one of her other appearances on the show. She has a beautiful voice,I wish I could see the show here in Atlanta. Thanks for the detailed update,it is greatly appreciated. If it is not too much to ask, it would be great if you could continue to keep us informed of the results and what you think of the performances.