Monday, March 1, 2010

Road March: Democratic or fixed?



Road March always seemed like a funny word to me, like you were part of an army or something. The thing about armies though is that all known armies have a leader and those doing the marching normally aren't the ones doing the thinking which raises several pertinent questions. Do people wine in a trance brought about by alcohol or am are they gyrating on strings manipulated by the whims and fancies of deejays 'pre-lured' with blue notes? Are you dancing to what you like or are you liking what you happen to be dancing to? Do the 'wild ants swarming the streets in their over-priced costumes really have a say? Strangely enough, I say yes they do, from what I have observed, and though the soca mafia eh nuttin to uff wit I believe road march is largely the people's choice.

I'm pretty sure most won't agree with me so I'll get lined up one time and shoot, not talk. I'm going to use examples of road marches past to learn you why the masquerader will not be denied and then if you want you can use your anecdotes in the comments and we'll see what's what. So lewwe go:

1) Wayne Rodriguez with "Footsteps" in 1998 - The year was 1998 and Machel was fresh from his huge "Big Truck" win the year before. Both "Toro" and "Footsteps" outta de Xtatic camp were running it that year and I was liming with the fam till late, feet hurting, waiting for Road March and Band of the year results. It was reported that both songs were still close when I saw some band (Babarossa or something) crossing the stage and the deejay perched up high decided to think outside the box and go with Machel instead of "Footsteps". Bad choice. The masqueraders proceeded to stop dancing and sit on the ground until the deejay reluctantly played "Footsteps". I always remember that because it's not often that trinis protest but I guess we doh play when it comes to palancing.

2) Sanelle Dempster with "River" in 1999 - 1999 was a real slow year for soca; 2010 is like Usain Bolt by comparison. Then as carnival itself was nearing its end, a first timer comes in and steals it singing a song titled "River" of all things. If the soca mafia was working there then I guess we do have a secret service.

3) The Mighty Shadow with "Stranger" in 2001 - All I have to say is Shadow actually won. Yeah his song deserved it that year but it's well documented that the calypso mafia doesn't like Shadow so I can't see the soca mafia pushing him either.

4) Fay-Ann Lyons with "Meet Superblue" in 2009 - I don't think this was the best road march song for '09 but Mrs. Alvarez had everyone on her side last year, especially with the baby talking stunt she pulled in soca monarch finals in which she won (see below). Meanwhile, the soca mafia was pushing "Wild Ants" hard, harder than the ninth month of pregnancy, harder than that even. They played the video on repeat in Bachannal Wednesday, on television and they played the song on repeat on radio during the last carnival week. And in the end the people spoke and they still lost.



So those are the cold hard facts people. The only anomalies in the last decade of road march that I'm aware of have been some of Destra's defeats but then who fights with Denise Belfon two weeks before carnival, loses and expects to take road march? So that's my stance and you can check my song "Stress" below which I'm shamelessly plugging and currently shooting a music video for that will make four with your eyes soon. Face out.


Web music player
Quantcast

2 comments:

John John said...

Good one again shame on the plug at the end, so i will do one better and plug angel releasing mid march call your radio stations and request it lmao

Unknown said...

Done know. Nuttin wrong wit a little plug now and then. I will look out for it.