Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Look everyone...a falling star



Ok I admit, this proclamation is a little premature but then again...I did say "falling star". It's not a bad thing anyway seeing as we're talking about an artiste that has been completely dominating a musical genre for about over a decade now. And as I've said in an article that I wrote some time before titled "Carnival Without Machel", this turn of events will just give other stars a chance to shine and make the carnival sky as lovely or maybe more lovely than before.

And who say he falling? Well actually I say so. Since last year I was seeing the cracks in the armour. The first sign was when he nabbed one of the melodies of "Jumbie" to spawn the mediocre "Blazin de Trail" and was actually pushing it as if it had a chance of winning road march (lmao at all of you who thought it would). The second was when he started getting out-shined on riddims repeatedly by Patrice. Even so, I wasn't too worried because I surmised that Mr. HD was just taking a little break and plus..."Defence" kinda made up for any other shortcomings. This year is a whole other story though.

It started again with Patrice out-shining him yet again; this time his "Rave" was poisoned by "Sway in de mas", showing that it was no fluke and probably a sign of the times. Then the fall continued, not because he roughed up Mr Shurwayne "Oh no no noooo" Winchester for using a song neither of them owned, but when people actually took Shurwayne's side including people like me who can't stand the dude. I didn't go AC7 but people were even saying that Shurwayne's band Y.O.U. had the better performance! And lastly, the actual push off the cliff of dominance came with the frustratingly mediocre "Wild Ants" and its hilariously bad music video. P.S. I know I'm writing this a little too late but I really wish the Soca Mafia could stop pushing "Wild Ants". I thought their little operations were supposed to be covert? Nobody really like de song so everybody done know what dey trying to do.

Yeah, well de boy real slipping. Every year until 2K8 has seen Mr HD has bringing something new and innovative to the game - Powder Puff girls, mixing genres (Mr Walker anyone?), featured dancehall artistes (Mr Vegas, Red Rat), featured calypso legends (Sparrow, Calypso Rose), the AC series, features with big international artistes (Wyclef), ignoring Soca Monarch and a continuously evolving stage performance over the years which involved splits, rapid-fire wining, balancing fat girls pon de neck, disappearing off stage, fireworks, fire-breathing moko jumbies etc. I don't know what really went on but I just know that this was the first year in a decade when Machel has not been the easiest chain-up for fete attendance (that would be KMC but soca mafia poison him this year). I won't say anything more because I want you people who reading to comment and let me know what they think but dang... how could you have Umi Marcano, Patrice Roberts, Zan, Busy Signal, Skinny Fabulous and Collie Budz all involved in a performance and it still lacklustre. Pressure! Let me know what you think. Face out.

8 comments:

Ryan Shripat said...

Fuh REAL.
I've been saying for about 3 years now that the man is a prima donna. Every single year he will bawl up the sound man. On stage. This year at Triniposse - one minute the monitors too loud and causin feedback, next minute he cya hear d ting. He even asked if anyone in the audience wanted a job as a sound engineer.

If I were his soundman, I woulda walk off.

HE actually walked off the stage himself, after complaining about some policemen doing their jobs in the crowd, prompting a chorus of 'Machel! MaCHEL!' from the drunk feters up front, and a medley of defiant 'BOO's' from the back. All this before torturing me with about 3/4 hour of slow music, a la U2's 'With or Without You' - except he hardly sang.

Thoroughly disappointing for me, especially since this was my only fete of the season, and Destra's performance was also lacklustre. If I can help it, I promise myself to never go to another concert featuring Machel.

sniperholix said...

Good read and well agreed. That wild ants had potential, becuz I try to understand why exactly I dont like a song.....HE CHANGED UP THE MELODY/FLOW TOO MUCH IN THAT SONG. First is "ants, ants, ants,.." then is "wild ants, wild ants,.." then some next slow part and then the verses. Thats too much for a soca song (and thats basics). For "Rave" I have one thing to say....Trini's don't Rave and doh try to force dat down we throat at all. The Collie buds tune was the best but it cyar touch dat HARD Benjai reflective song (ah dunno the name). The other tunes not bad, but everyone will agree is that you expect more quality than quantity from "Boy Boy". And what sad is that after the bastard mafia he ants tune all over 96.1 and island people it still aint come no way. Now I respect what d man has done for soca, but he needs restrategise, humble himself and connect back wit the people like Bunji. Bunji didn't have a whole set ah hits this year but he does always connect wit d people, d ghetto youths. I personally find all bunji tunes was hard this year..."goood banana" does mash up when yuh head bad, "dance must have plenty gyul" biggest tune especially live, "clear d road" cud ah win soca monarch, biggest jouvert tune was "carnival round d corner". Anyhow ah write too much.....ah gone!

Unknown said...

Honestly, I'm not a Machel fan. Machel does not give off good vibes. Any person who is real and in touch with his/herself, would realise this. I would admit, I enjoyed some of his music. A lot of it is catchy but just seeing him at times crawls my blood. He seems too dominant, too cocky. He needs to learn to be humble. Actually, I pity all the artistes that perform with him because they are all talented but they are just in his shadows.
On seeing the performance with Benjai and Bunji, my pores raised because I was so glad that he was no longer in the HD Band. Although, I am not sure of Mr. Garlin's attitude, I heard one of his musicians (who used to play with Xtatik) say that he could've made a confident mistake while playing with Bunji and being corrected, while playing for MACHEL he was so scared to even play because mistakes were just not allowed.
Now, I like Zan's music but I see he is picking up with Machel's stink attitude. Ok......I understand the band probably wasn't playing well, but work with what you have nah. You complaining about the band to the feters in Soca Monarch 2009. The show was being filmed for Tempo. Jeez!!!!!!
I always tried to show these things to people, but I'm glad it's out now. I hope Machel makes some changes now rather than holding his head proudly.

the magician said...

my only comment is ,I remember the year that Jumbie won there was a big boast that the HD camp would have had the Road March's locked from 2k7 to 2010.I guess Fayann is part of the HD camp :)

AZ said...

Illuminati caught up with Machel.

Unknown said...

yes anthony.....once again the illuminati is to blame

Wuzdescene said...

a bad workman always blames his tools .... and I think Machel realised that he didn't quite 'have it' this year ... and that's why he kept wackin out ... and blaming everything and everybody fuh his less dan High Def performance ... but yuh know what ... entertainers have dey time ... yuh can't be on top forever ...

Machel has made many memorable carnivals fuh me ... and I say THANKS! :-)

Unknown said...

Ok about benjai and the band at soca monarch... some insider info...

it is not that the band wasnt playing good..

Zan brought the entire HD band to the show and expected them to replace the musicians on stage. the rules of Soca Monarch are that u are allowed ONLY 3 of ur musicians to replace members of the band onstage. This is to avoid every artiste coming with an entire band and wasting time and stuff. this is to allow for a smooth flow.

and ALSO u are required to attend practice with the band along with ur musicians. Zan was bold faced enough to feel he have enough clout to get his own way and that the rules should bend for him cause he is part of the HD camp!! plus he didnt even see ah practice. Patrice didnt go practice either but u eh see her getting on with an attitude.

When he was only told that only 3 members of the band could play that was when he get attitude!!

Shruwayne and Bunji and Fay Ann who have dey own band went to practice and sing they songs and had no problem with the band. Who is Zan? I was right on the side of the stage when all the drama ensued