Friday, July 18, 2008

Underground Trini album pick of the month (July): Levi Myaz Street Album



Yeah folks, is me again. That Digicel Rising Star rundown that I spoke about will be coming soon (like tomorrow) so don't worry about it. And don't forget people, the I Am Hip Hop is not too far off. Make sure to come out on August 16th at Euphoria Lounge and support Trinidad hip hop cause its going be wicked and you're getting the best of the best. Remember ah tell yuh.

Right, so on to the topic at hand. Last month I was in highway records as usual and I was hunting for the Real Talk 3 dvd when Chromatics who was bumpin some random reggae album, said to me "Face, yuh know dis album real bad.". So I was like "Which one?" to which he of course replied "Dis one... de Levi Myaz nah" and I was like "Levi Who?". Turns out the guy who came out with the Trinidadian anthem for nostalgia that's surer to generate singalongs from the elderly than a hymn in church had a son. And guess what...he can handle himself too.

Now I know I'm the minority in not knowing who Levi Myaz is but after listening to his album I don't think I will forget soon. The album is around 22 tracks long and it kept my attention throughout. As an artiste, Levi Myaz is a decent reggae crooner who relies on emotion to sell his concepts which are usually not much different from the usual reggae standards such as weed, Babylon, love and adherence to Rastafarian principles. The surprise comes when you realize that Levi can also spit with the best of them and on one track in particular he had me wishing that he 'chanted' a bit more on the album. Nevertheless, maintaining one's attention span over 22 tracks is no easy feat and his style; accessible and thoroughly listenable, more than achieves this. You can go and cop this album in highway records by the Chaguanas taxi stand in Curepe. Doh stick.

1 comment:

Kemmz said...

sounds interestiong, ah will cop dis in support of de local talent.