Thursday, July 3, 2008

Digicel Rising Star Blow by Blow: Billboard hits



Yeah homies...and ladies. Waz de scene. I took a little diversion last week with the Chris Brown post and summarily experienced more views than an accident on the Uriah Butler highway. Yeah I know, I went out ah body a likkle bit but now I'm back to mihself and I'm going to start out by giving the rundown of last week's Digicel Rising Star competition (yes I know...I'm a bit late). Before we start that I want you to check out this new rap song called Looking Boy. It's quite unique and real hilarious. You can also check out this big tune dat I'm releasing this month called Jennifer. Listen out for it on radio too.

1)Claudia singing "I'll be there" by the Jackson 5 - Remember the girl ah mean woman with the smokey voice from last week. Probably not but this week she didn't do justice to one of my favourite songs. Didn't matter what I thought though, the judges absolutely loved her. Somehow the Rising Star judges nitpick on minor vocal flaws with some contestants but totally ignore the shortcomings of others. Then again, maybe I'm just a hater.

2)Crystal Daniel singing "Back on my feet again" by Michael Bolton - I'll start this one by saying that I don't really like Mr Bolton; I find him corny which may stem from the fact that I'm not a 40 year old mom. However, Crystal was almost flawless with her rendition of the song. Her voice has a nice harshness to it and she's great technically so she hits almost every note deep, full and dripping with emotion. The judges loved this and kept emphasizing how much better it was than her last performance. What was wrong with her last performance?

3)Erika singing "What's love got to do with it" by Tina Turner - Ah yes, Erika. The mystery contestant who came from nowhere and delivered Rhianna's "Unfaithful almost better than Rhi Rhi herself. This week she came back with a wig liming kinda on the hideous side (she still looked decent so I won't hate...too much) singing a song that's too low for her. I didn't like her beginning but once again the girl killed it with some insane dynamics at the end; I know my voice training instructor would have been proud. Unsurprisingly, the judges thought she was the sh*t because her confidence vastly improved from last time or something so. I can't front though; she's a scarily good singer and I won't be surprised if she gives Meda a run for her money. After this they feature a moment with the musical director for the show and is it just me or didn't they make him look like he's either autistic or challenged? I doh know. I reiterate that Kyncky must be on some kinda drug...no offense to her of course. And I preferred the wig from the week before.

Kesley Lion Joseph singing "Back at one" by Brian McKnight - Now on paper this seems terrible. Reggae dude who thus far has delivered more in stage presence than vocals doing a song by one of the vocal godfathers of the RnB game...it seems like a maxi wreck waiting to happen. It didn't happen this time though; Kesley wasn't perfect but he used his voice the best he could and actually delivered some of my favourite notes from the song almost spot on. However, the judges views were mixed and even eye-liner dude who has been his cheerleader since day one didn't give him an entirely favourable review. I liked it though...nice work hoss.

Meda Ellis singing "Said I loved you but I lied" by Michael Bolton - Yeah I know...another Michael Bolton? Somehow anytime vocalists in Trinidad have to sing anything it's either Bolton, Whitney or Mariah. In this case it wasn't just any vocalists though. This was Meda, the favourite thus far and the only one who hasn't sung a cring-worthy note in the entire competition. How was her performance? It was flawless. Somehow though, the judges found room to hate. Something about her not being better than her last performance. Who cares? If I get 97% on a test do you scold me cause I got 99% last term? In any case, how could she have been expected to improve this week when this is the first week that I've heard her receive any criticism whatsoever?

Alicia Stephen singing "If I ain't got you" by Alicia Keys - I didn't like Alicia's rendition of Tanya Stephens last week but this week Alicia followed up by singing the song of another person with whom she shares part of her name with (I wonder what her middle name is?). This time, the song suited her voice and her warm lower resonance exuded nuff emotion and had me wondering who was the lucky fella she left back in Tobago. The judges bigged her up and rightfully so. The ending wasn't the best but she was the most improved for the night.

Vindra singing "Right here waiting" by Richard Marx - I don't really listen to these type of easy-listening, 97 fm kinda tunes so I really wasn't feeling the song too much. Being objective though, Vindra's performance wasn't really up to par. I was in his corner last week, out ah time dancing and all because his delivery of "lotaylah" was good and he seemed like he was having fun. This time he was trying too hard and ended up delivering the song with the right emotion and pitch but straight from the nose instead of the heart. Sad to say, I can see him going home next week.

I out people. Listen out for two singles from Da Face soon. Album coming out next year.

6 comments:

sweet darkie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sweet darkie said...

In my opinion Crystal Daniel won this week hands down. She not only sang an almost perfect Michael Bolton, the woman just looks so damn good. I think she has the all-time package to pull this off.
Erica's performance to me was flat from beginning to end...Claudia beams with personality...The Lion did his best...Vindra, to me didn't sound so bad...Meda did have a lot of bad notes, however her voice is so pwerful... Alicia, most improved, visually and vocally

pickles said...

My favourites are Crystal Daniel, Meda Ellis and Keslie'lion' Joseph. Cant wait to hear all yuh this week.

pickles said...

My favourites are Crystal Daniel, Meda Ellis and Keslie 'lion' Joseph. Sing your hearts out this week I look forward to hearing you.

knyx said...

Buh a a, it good to google...

My 2 cents...

I love them (the Rising Stars contestants) all. Though some are better or more experienced than others, I hate to see them leave.
I'm waiting to see how it goes...

Guess you didn't know (research is good) but the musical director Mr. Jason Dascent is blind. Despite this challenge, he has managed to become a prolific musician that other musicicans admire & respect.

As for your comment on me, Yes, I'm on a drug,the drug of life...Keep doing your thig Bro & good luck with your future endevours...

Bless...
Knyx...

DESIRE said...

i believe that this years competition was the best of all digicel rising stars there werereally stars aboard this year