Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Voting Songs



Voting songs real different. They can quite aptly be defined as art for the purpose of business or, as I scratch my beard, a very non-hypocritical form of such that reduces art to it's base form; just another service in exchange for money.

Voting songs exist for the promotion or demotion of a particular party regardless of the political convictions of the creator and around election time so, are usually done for profit. It's a divorce of artistic expression made easier when coupled with several scores of blue notes. Personally I'm not sure I'd partake (guess it depends on the amount) but that's a whole post by itself. The question is, do they influence your vote?

Some of these songs can really stick in your head though. I've found myself humming Terri Lyons' "We Voting PNM" after a serious bun down of the Prime Minister and his misdeeds. Trust me, it doesn't make a good closing statement. De Fosto's anti-PNM offering "Ah Cyar Vote Fuh Dat" is a more lyrical offering but is similarly sweet and builds up nicely into the chorus that evokes the title, which in itself is a nice catch phrase. "Ah Cyah Vote Fuh Dat"...probably not.

And apparently is not me alone who getting catch. I hearing nuff people singing those songs dese days, even the apolitical ones who does bun down the voting process when is really laziness or lack of an ID card It's the one part of the process they can stomach I guess.

I guess that's the thing about music in general. People listen melody first and lyrics after enabling political messages to get in your cranium subliminally. And the results can be impressive. You bring Beenie Man down and then you beat the COP back into third.

Saying that the songs are catchy is one thing, but saying that they influence your red finger decisions are another. What about you? Do they you influence your vote? Check out two of the more prominent voting songs below and let me know in the comments. Face out.



3 comments:

Wuzdescene said...

Elections songs irritate me more than influence me ... altho I quite like the De Fosto one ....

... an' ah find like yuh eh mention yuh fellow hip-hop artiste .... BDangerous .... you do know dat he goin up fuh NNV and dat he also have an elections song called Blind Vote ...

Unknown said...

Lol. I found out bout dat one after I posted but daz true. I like dat song too.

Anti-Everything said...

Hey guys, as you are on the topic of elections songs, we want you all to check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyBXTRtRlIc.

You can also check out www.antieverything.net to download a FREE copy of ‘Decision 2010’ – a short elections themed album by local punk rock band Anti-Everything. Bless up.