Friday, January 15, 2010

DJs singing, palancing etc.



I have no problem with deejays singing. Everybody has to 'eat ah food'...yuh know. Just because they stop some people from eating their food doesn't mean they stop me from getting seconds of mine and it surprisingly doesn't mean that I wouldn't want them to eat. Even if they were pausing my feeding I wouldn't hate on them for eating because I would most likely do the same, but with more class, probably. Ever since I started creating resumes, I quickly learned the value of using one's position and seizing opportunity to gain success as getting that foot in the door can be hard when you have a big shoe size. Plus, 'Palance' is an incredible song that would be a big tune regardless.

What is disturbing to me though is the trendiness and bandwagonistic nature of the phenomenon. Previously, a good song by a dj was seen as a surprise and the more common bad ones were regarded curiously and forgotten with the dj in question playfully regarding the song as a foray and nothing more. Nowadays, these djs, deservedly and otherwise, stand at the forefront of the soca musical landscape, swinging through and beating their chest as entrepeneurs, hustlers and lol bonafide artistes while conveniently forgetting the instantaneous access they have to the finest producers, artiste friends who don't mind performing social fellatio for airplay and well, airplay on their own programmes and the programmes of their dj pardners who could be accused of nepotism if not for the fact that they are usually tone deaf (they may actually like those pieces of mess); bunning down all non-soca local acts basically while playing 'hits' by Soulja Boy? How I miss those times when Chinese Laundry was the only dj with a lame song getting more spins than a bike tyre.

Yeah things change but I eh have no beef with the djs. If I have learned anything from living in a system is that people take advantage of it whenever and wherever loopholes present itself. So I eh vex with them men earning extra money although I do get annoyed with the condescending and scolding tones most take when talking about upcoming artistes and their inability to succeed when they of all people should know how hard it is to penetrate radio since they function as the chastity belt (why do we obsess about radio anyways though). My real beef is with a system so designed that it allows a tone deaf dj with a terrible concept to get airplay and be assimilated into the airwaves like methane from Point Lisas and forge careers on abysmal music with no encouragement or compulsion to improve. In the US there have been examples of similar crossovers like producer Kanye rapping or radio personality Ludacris rapping but they had to either come good in the latter case or get good in the former. Yeah, I'm saddened by a radio system that turns filth into gold through doctored ubiquity; I'm only consoled by the fact that facebook is my radio and the airplay not bad at all. I still like 'Palance' though and I better get my jersey Wednesday or we'll have problems. Face out.

3 comments:

Qui said...

I think alot of people would agree with your stance. Honestly though, if is sh&*t, nine times out of 10 people say so.
As much as Mr. Tight-pants TC might think he sings great soca, most people listen to his music for the novelty of it.
The goal should always be to make a song that will last for years to come and people can look back and say, "dat was a bess chune dred".
Yes you might eat ah food now, but when you have a wicked tune, then that's when your name becomes household.

Unknown said...

Yeah that's true Q. If they want to call considered artistes then they should do the artiste thing and work on their craft. But then again being the 'King of Swag' is not an elected title and not meant to be earned by hard work or even good politicking.

Unknown said...

I agree with you face, well said. Whats really sad for carnival this year,(if you noticed) the soca artiste singing so much garbage most of the music being played, is from last year and remixed dancehall.SAD.... Even good soca artiste dumbin down to get air play... WTF.