Sunday, January 25, 2009

Freestyle Fellowship



Normally, when you hear the word "fellowship" your mind may probably drift to Lord of the Rings (well maybe if you're a nerd like me). However, when you put the word "freestyle" in front of it you get something totally different. You get the feeling that the term is representative of something much more than the name of a Facebook group. You get the sense that it is a union amongst members who have maximum respect for the freestyle/improv artform and battle each other frequently to hone their skills. And if you get that sense then guess what hoss... you're right.

Introductory build-up aside, the Freestyle Fellowship is basically a Facebook group where people are free to post poetic/rap pieces on the 'wall' or battle people using written verses. The highlight of the group however, is the battling where 'whole-day' battles even during working hours between two working competitors is not a strange occurrence. Winning decisions for these battles are kinda informal and based on an honor system whereby either the competitor admits that they lost and/or spectating readers post their opinion.

Actually the winning decision is usually much simpler than I stated. Trakslasha, famed member of the legendary Trinidadian rap group I.A.L.S. and creator of this Facebook group would normally step in to decide who wins and at which point they have won. Sometimes this may take about ten verses from either competitor but who's arguing right? My only problem with this lack of structure is that I'm usually very busy and if I'm battling someone I want to know things like what is the time limit in which to write the verses, how many bars each verse has to be and how many verses each person needs to produce before the winning decision is to be made but clearly that is just me. Most people are fine with this system so these days I doh really battle but I check out the group periodically to see the verses that people have posted or to check out any ongoing battles. But don't take my word just so, check it out yuhself. And if you want fame (or death) you can take on a man called Judah. Right now he is de champ pon de site.

No comments: