Tuesday, May 6, 2008

We Talent (Digicel Rising Star on a break)

Yeah man.
Is yuh boy Da Face again. Don't worry, they can't get rid of me like they did 'mih boy' Rowley. This underground trini artiste not going nowhere.

This week I had originally planned to continue my ongoing report on the Digicel Rising Star auditions but I think that audtions are on a break this week. I haven't heard anything about it, a fact made even weirder because of the fact that I was actually trying to hear something about it; a google search for Digicel Rising Star yielded the partially-working, non-updated official site and a lot of other outdated links (Rising Star 2006 anyone). In any case, it's not like I was going Tobago just to film the auditions anyways.

However, sometime last week a friend of mine told me about this competition called 'We Talent'. Now personally, I find putting 'We' in front of Trinidadian stuff is like really, really played out dude. It's kinda like putting an 'i' in front of the name of electronic devices. Nevertheless, Sunday I found myself up in the club Bleu for the auditions. In terms of numbers, the turnout was extremely underwhelming. Basically, only the people who had to be there were there; people who were auditioning, hosting or judging. On the upside, Club Bleu has a really nice ambience and was surprisingly perfect for this type of show, so much so that I was finding it hard picturing it as a place where people would go to 'pelt some waist' after work. The quality of contestants was sketchy and for this year at least it seems that We Talent will suffer because most of T+T's best talent have probably gravitated towards the better advertised Digicel show featuring the more lucrative prizes. However my underground friends, the path to greatness is not always paved in gold and you could do a lot worse than this competition. Da Face out...till next week.



A We-Talent contestant singing and original composition: "Thank you Lord"

No comments: