Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A night out...with P.E.P.P.A.



Hello peeps, what's cracking? I know it has been a long time since I've done commentary on an event but I've been working hard on my album, Hitchhiker's Guide to uwi and also been writing some stuff for Trinipulse. But doh frighten, I not putting down the torch anytime soon and I actually have a lot of stuff to talk about. I eh even open mih mouth about Soca Star 4 yet.

Yeah, so one of my brethren was hyping up this session affectionately called 'P.E.P.P.A (is this an acronynm?)' that takes place in the La Casa De Ibiza Restaurant & Lounge which is a decent-looking place directly opposite the oval on Tragerete road. Honestly, my work is like a one minute walk from the place so I thought about it and was like "no scene" and proceeded to organize myself to make some movements. I actually wanted to make my debut in the place the week before which featured my favourite group '3 Suns' performing but that was the night before Divali and I live Chaguanas. Five hours in traffic is rarely fun.

So evidently enough, I decided to check it out the week that Synergy soca star alumni Umi Marcano and Fireball would be blessing the mic. To get in I had to leave a spartan $40 contribution which would be later compensated for with the spectacular drink prices by the bar but I wasn't studying that yet. As I walked in I was pleasantly surprised by the look of the place. In my mind, I thought the place would either look like an upscale bar or a downscale club but this place looked like someone's living room complete with comfortable couches to sit. The place was well lit and had a look like the set of a tv show - there were guys video-taping the whole thing so I guess that was the point. This vibe I think was a blessing to the performers who looked relaxed and gave unplugged versions of their songs while being supported by the house band and backing vocalists.

I didn't stay to see the whole of Fireball's set but I did see the latter half of Umi's which made me see the dude in a different light. I don't have cable and I actually didn't see much of the second season of soca star so I didn't really get much from Umi barring his cocky demeanour and penchant for producing a catchy song every carnival season since his big win. However, P.E.P.P.A. has this novel concept whereby artistes participate in a question and answer session after performing which I'm guessing serves to make the close setting seem even more intimate and (gasp) makes then seem more human. After seeing Umi answer questions it seems that under the exterior is a young talented and determined artiste who "idolizes Machel" and is doing what he can to make it in our brutal industry. Maybe they should try nailing down Mr. Patrick in a session. Anyways, Face out. You can also check P.E.P.P.A out on their facebook group.


Umi Marcano performing in P.E.P.P.A.



Fireball performing in P.E.P.P.A.

No comments: